Thursday, January 19, 2012

Swoon Quilting...


Finally some pictures of my swoon quilt all quilted up. I free motion quilted it on my home machine. Although first I aquired a larger machine! I used a Juki, which is much faster than my normal machine, and also has a longer arm length.

I found out really quickly (after two broken needles) that I should avoid quilting directly over the dense area where all those points come together. So I simply worked it into my FMQ stipple, so that I would rotate around the points without going over them. Annoying? Yes, but not terrible.


Here we are. From the back it all looks pretty nice too! In all the quilting took about two and a half hours! Very speedy just like the Juki!


Finally, the cute part. I snuck some FMQ'd hearts throughout. They're really obvious from the back, but sweet and intentional. I think my MIL will appreciate them. :)

As you can see above, I've started to bind it... and I'm sewing the binding by hand... it's going to take forever. I also sewed the binding the "right way" adhering it to the quilt front 3/8" away from the edge instead of my normal, lazy 1/4" away. I keep thinking that maybe this year will be the year that I'll show a quilt or two at a state fair or something. We'll see. 

3 comments:

  1. Your Swoon quilt lives up to it's name! Have fun with the binding, I actually like the hand sewing of it down. What machine did you get? My Kenmore isn't very good at quilting and I've been eying a Juki.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe this only took you 2.5 hours!!!! It must not only be the machine but also your crazy skills! And thanks for your kind words re baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe that you quilted this thing so quickly! I must be a super slow sewer, because it would probably take me way longer... Of course, lately I've been doing a lot of straight line quilting which is much slower than stippling. (And that's pretty much the only two types of quilting I have done...)

    On another note, I did buy the swoon pattern, so now I have to think about which fabrics I'd like to use... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete