Friday, February 18, 2011

{Easy} Glasses Case Tutorial

This weekend my neice Katee is in town with us and she asked to sew. Of course we came up with an awesome little project (and we took pictures along the way to share). 

To make an awesome padded glasses case you'll need just some scraps of pretty fabric and batting.

***To be sure that your glasses will fit please first measure your glasses, folded up, from top of frame to bottom of ear piece. Ours folded up pretty narrow. If you need (or just to be on the safe side) you can add an extra inch or more to all those 5.5" measurements to allow extra room for larger glasses.***

Cut:
Cuff Fabric (pictured in purple): 2" x 5.5" 
Contrast fabric (grey): 1" x 5.5"
Main fabric (teal): 5.75" x 5.5
Lining fabric: 5.5" x 7.5"

1) Sew cuff, contrast, and main fabrics together as desired.
2) Stack fabrics in this order: on top - lining fabric, right side down
                                               middle - outside/patchwork, right side up.
                                               bottom - batting
3) Sew short side together.
4) Open up fabrics and iron seam allowances and batting toward the outside fabric.
5) Fold entire piece in half width wise (hot dog) and pin.
6) Mark 2" section on side of lining to leave unsewn.
7) Sew around the three sides (backstitch at beginning and ends), leaving open 2" gap in lining.
8) Clip corners and turn right side out. Press.
9) Hand sew or machine stitch opening with scant seam allowances or invisible stitch.
10) Push lining into outer fabric (using chopstick --or paintbrush handle lol), press, and enjoy!!
Here's the beautiful finished product! Katee and I finished from sketching it out to putting our glasses in, in about half an hour. Katee (age 10) sewed everything on hers by herself. I'll bet you can't guess which one above she made!

(Linked up here for Sew Modern Mondays)

15 comments:

  1. they're adorable! i've got to make one of these! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! And not, just because I have the same glasses as the first picture. I think I know what everyone in my family is getting next Christmas! We are all blind, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! I could definitely use this. Great fabric choices too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great tutorial! I might just make one when it's sunglasses season! I enjoyed your blogging tips over at Mumma's Time To Create. Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are really cute! I should make one...but I doubt it would get much use since I'm pretty much always wearing my glasses :-)

    Your post also makes me look forward to the days when my niece is a little older and I will be able to teach her some sewing and crafting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tutorial, I'm going to bookmark it because I could definitely use an eyeglass case (I am so rough with my glasses)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome idea! I could use a cute little glasses case. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are fabulous! Definitely on my to-do list! :) Thanks for linking up to {Sew} Modern Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks so much! I teach at a women's literacy center and we run Scrabble tournaments to help raise money .. today I was asked to make some cases for cheater glasses and TipNut brought me to your site.. I have just made a dozen of them in less than two hours, happily using scraps.. please tell Katee thanks for the great ideas! Edie in CT

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks, just made this in a jiffy , lovely, lovely

    ReplyDelete
  11. This just might be the perfect project for my contribution to our Hospital Auxilliary's Christmas Bazaar!!! Thank you!!! I am pinning this for future reference and use!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So lovely!!! Love the fabrics combinations! Thanks so much for sharing the tutorial! I'd love for you to visit my blog.
    Happy week!

    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you- something wonderful and useful my daughter and I can make.
    What a great idea!
    Shelly Freeman

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you- something wonderful and useful my daughter and I can make.
    What a great idea!
    Shelly Freeman

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the glasses case and your choice of fabric. I'm new to quilting and will be making these for myself, daughter and friends as I need lots of practice on my quarter inch seam. Thank you for taking the time to share.

    ReplyDelete