Friday, February 11, 2011

Have I ever mentioned...

That I love Dominicans? 
Ok, Sr. Maria Gemma is not a Dominican, she's Franciscan, but I didn't want to use someone else's picture here.
Also note, that's me and my daughter, and two of my bestest friends from college. We're sisters I swear.
In a couple weeks I'm going to be going on my first ever quilting retreat!! I've been really thinking/wanting to plan on going to the Sewing Summit next fall. But I just don't know if I can spend that kind of money on myself. We'll see. In the meantime I got a notice from the president of our local Chicago Modern Quilt Guild - about an upcoming retreat. I hadn't heard about it because, silly me, I haven't made it to a meeting yet! I thought about it for a few minutes/hours... then the deciding factor for me - it happens that the retreat is being held in Wisconsin at a retreat center on the grounds of a Dominican convent!! Oh I love nuns (one of my best friends is a Franciscan). And I studied at a dominican college. And St Catherine is my favorite - she's dominican. 

lol. Sorry. I'm sure you guys don't want me getting all nerdy about saints. But here's the thing. I don't actually know anyone who quilts. I mean my friend Mary - but she's just learning and not really crazy about it. I'm excited to get to know some people in my general area, who also love to quilt!

But... what do I bring? What should I work on? lol. It's barely three weeks away. It's so exciting! I am thinking of bringing all my bee blocks (if they're all in by then) and sashing them up - wouldn't it be great to have a finished bee quilt a week after your month is over? Or do I work on something smaller and more free? I've never sewn anywhere but in my house...lol. 

I hope you're all enjoying my rambling. I hope the provided meals are made by nuns... oh convent food is yummy and made with prayer! I hope I get along with everyone and make some sewing friends. 

Edit: I just got a little gushy looking through my pics of Sr Gemma's entrance to the convent. It happened to be my baby's first birthday. They shared their special day together! I can't begin to tell you how happy my heart is knowing that Sr. is so happy! 

3 comments:

  1. Cool! I'm so happy that you're going on that retreat, I hope it's a lot of fun!! Did you go to Dominican? I went to North Park! I did go to the open house at Dominican though. I think you should bring more than one project, in case you get there and have a feel for something in particular (or if you're really busy you can get a lot done!!). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to hear about the retreat! Maybe I will be able to go to the next one, too.

    I agree with Sara, that you might want to bring several things to work on, just in case you're more in the mood for one thing than another (I'm afraid I would only be in the mood to talk!)

    I am intrigued to know what you know about saints...and find it very interesting that you have a friend that is a nun, too (of course, nuns are people and have friends...) I just was not raised Catholic so we didn't really have nuns so it is a subject that I dont' really know much about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm on a mission to find a group or just SOMEONE who loves fabric, sewing, crafting in my area! There is no one- just me! :o(

    I hope the retreat is fun, I should come out of my shell and just sign up for one too!

    ReplyDelete