Monday, November 19, 2012

Doll Quilt Swap 13 - Inspiration and other things I love.


With every new round of the Doll Quilt Swap, we make our mosaics, and wait for the swap mama's to send us our partner's info. These mosaics are more than just a fun way to kill the time while waiting, I find that they're a good lesson in personal style. 

I always find it hard to pinpoint just what it is that I like about quilt. Is it the precision or the freedom? Maybe it's the colors or just the prints on the fabric. Making an inspiration mosaic captures the essence of me. These are the things that I love. 

When I go to make an inspiration mosaic I start with my flickr favorites - I have been compiling these throughout my years on flickr, and there are a lot of them! I start sifting through my fav's and opening new windows for the ones that particularly strike me. Once I have a dozen or so window open I start adding them to the mosaic (I use www.bighugelabs.com). The last few pictures are always hard to choose - which will be left out? 

Then it all comes together. Without fail I'm always surprised at how well it captures my likes. I hope this helps my swap partner to get to know me a bit better. I love these things. 

I love words and text. I like rich saturated colors, feathers, and dense quilting.  Paper piecing and free piecing are both awesome. I love the freedom to play with fabrics. 

What is it that this mosaic doesn't tell you? I love Harry Potter, Ingrid Michaelson and The Civil Wars. Those things don't usually relate to quilting though. 

3 comments:

  1. beautiful mosaic - there are some fab things in there that I am off to check out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love them all! It always amazes me that in this world of creativity there are always surprises after you think you've seen it all.

    ReplyDelete