Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Re-stashing and a new start!


The other night I started a new quilt. This one has been in my mind since before Christmas, and I started pulling / stashing fabrics for it after vacation a few weeks ago. I'm calling it "Bella Bella" for now, since the general idea comes from the book "Bella Bella Quilts" by Norah McMeeking. I purchased the paper patterns that go along with the book - but I didn't buy the book - I know I won't follow those instructions anyway! I don't like following patterns. So my idea though, is based on her book which is all quilts inspired by Italian mosaic floors. Pretty fabulous, and I'm hoping it works out as I plan. I don't have a really solid picture in my mind about this quilt - but lots and lots of ideas. Truthfully my DQS12 quilt has helped to solidify the "you can do this" for me. It's not going to be easy, but it'll be a challenge and it'll be a lot of fun! I imagine you'll see a lot of this quilt as it moves along. 

The block there above, is the first bit of the quilt. Lucky for me Sara is hosting a NY Beauty Quilt Along right now, and posted the awesomest block. So I followed along for that one! Not hard at all, time consuming, but not hard. :) My paper piecing is getting better and so is my curved piecing! 

As for the re-stashing I went to Connecting Threads last week, looking for some light grey and a couple other solids for this quilt - only to find that most of their solid selection was half off.... so yes I filled up a box! (I never do that!) I'm also going to be giving their thread a try. I've never used it so we'll see! :) 

I can tell you on a super secret note, that you'll be seeing some even lovelier solids around here soon!!! I can't wait!! Stay tuned, I'll be making that announcement later this week or next! :) 

1 comment:

  1. I love this block...so awesome looking! I was really liking Sara's, too, so I was thinking I might try it...so now it's a definite :-)

    I broke down and bought some of the CT solids that were on sale, too. I love all the colors I bought, although I did get two pinks that are nearly similar in color. I have a spool of their thread, from before, but I haven't tried it yet.

    Can't wait to hear about the secret re: the even lovlier solids!!!

    ReplyDelete