Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Words in/on quilts!

Recently I've been really loving seeing words written/stitched onto quilts. It all started back during the DQS9 when Cathy was creating this little quilt - yes with tiny stitched words across the middle. Lovely! Since then I've given it a try and not done too bad. But here's the thing, as much as I love the way little embroidered words look, they take forever especially when I'm not very good at it. Also, my letters tend to look a little bit more remedial than I'd like. And what if I want to stitch a poem or a whole letter? (ok I know... a little nuts there right but I have always loved words... and journaling). So then I've been lusting after these pillows. They have sweet bible verses and the child's name on them too! Perfect!
FMQ words - practice
Some of my practice swatches. I practiced for about 20 min before making the real thing.
On with my point. For the past few days I've been compiling a pinterest board full of awesome examples of words on quilts. Here it is if you'd like to see. Finally I got off my computer and gave it some practice! One of the ladies at the CMQG retreat a week ago recommended practicing my free motion wording on a doubled up layer of felt since it's about the same thickness as a quilt sandwich but much cheaper! I'll recommend that highly! It worked like a charm. I just sat down and practiced. I practiced cursive, and I practiced print. When printing I would stop and pull the threads a bit (to give a little slack) before moving to the next letter - but I didn't cut those threads until the end. I had a lot less bunching of threads that way. The tiny pointy scissors that I have helped a lot in trimming those little threads in the end. Once again my inspiration for the label shape came from Cathy's DQS9 quilt label. that little circle with the ruffled edge is cute!

I completely recommend you try this! I'm loving it and can see that most of my future quilts will have some sort of text quilted into them! 

I'll do my official post about being finished with Gia's quilt sometime after the sun comes out so I can get some good pictures!!

3 comments:

  1. You make it look so easy! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat! I sewed my niece's names on each of the quilts that I made for them last Christmas. They had a lot of fun trying to find them amongst all of the FMQ-ing :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think yours look fabulous! Thanks for the ideas and inspiration! Thanks for linking to Fabric Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete