Friday, March 25, 2011

Chloe's bubble quilt


A couple nights ago Wally was off at his mom's house doing laundry (don't even get me into the frustration that is not being able to do laundry at our appartment - ugh!), so I jumped on the chance to spend some quality sewing time with Nancy (my Singer).

I actually wrote up a long and detailed post about this... which I haven't decided to post yet since it's really long winded. So I'll give you the short part of the story:

I love Heather Bailey's Nicey Jane. I first saw it when my awesome Aunt Kathy bought me a FQ set of it for Christmas two years ago. Yep. It's been in my stash for more than a year because I've been too scared to cut it. It was really all I had on hand to take to the Chicago Modern Quilt Guild retreat a couple weeks ago. I knew that Ebony was going to bring her awesome Accuquilt studio cutter so we could all ooh and ahh (I mean cut fabric) with him. I decided to fuse some double sided fusable web to some of my fabrics first, then cut circles and 2 1/2" strips and 2 1/2" squares. I had the general idea of making a quilt like this but knew I'd never get around to cutting all those circles by hand!

Fabric cut by Studio cutter. Awesome!
With all the prep work done it took me less than 3 hours to sew up this quilt top! And, I used all but four of those 2 1/2" squares!!! I free motion quilted around each circle to secure them (it will be a baby quilt after all). Once the backing fabric comes in I'll be off to quilt her, I'm thinking straight (ish) line quilting would be a good contrast to those circles. :) I'll keep you updated!

4 comments:

  1. The quilt is lovely and the fabric is certainly yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! I love the circles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been planning one of these for a long time - LOVE the circles on the studio cutter! I'll have to keep that in mind for next year (i already sent in my check, too!)

    Fabulous quilt with that lovely Nicey Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this looks amazing, Emily, I really love what you did with this! How did you like the AccuQuilt? I think that's the only way I'd do a quilt with circles like this, too :)

    ReplyDelete