Saturday, March 26, 2011

A new quilt for baby _______ (girl).


(Today I am not feeling very bitter.)
This evening I missed a call from a very dear friend, Alexandra. We don't talk often, but have that sort of friendship that won't ever end, we'll just pick up where we left off, whenever we see eachother. She was calling to let me know that as I had expected, she is indeed expecting! A little background if you don't mind. Alexandra and I met and spent a summer together while serving with the Young Disciples Teams - leading Catholic catechesis camps for kids all over North Dakota. we were part of a team of four, but being the only girls on our team shared living arrangements (and often rooms) in the homes of gracious host families across ND. That summer in ND was one of the highlights of my spiritual life. Alexandra was our group's prayer leader and our whole team grew so much because of it! Ok on with my point. It really is hard for me to hear so many happy excited couples announcing that they're expecting a child. It really is. But as much as my heart hurts for me, I'm so elated for her. The last time we saw each other was last fall and she was preparing for her wedding - she asked me in such a sweet/excited/pure way what it was like to be pregnant. I can't explain how precious that was. 

I'm rambling.

Alright (lol). 

So getting the message from Alexandra made me want to immediately start planning the most spectacular quilt for her child. She's just three months along so she won't know if it's a boy or girl for some time (and I'm not even sure she wants to know). So the color scheme is going to have to be a bit more limited than I usually would use. I'm thinking this will be the perfect opportunity to make a grey/yellow quilt like so many that I've been drooling over. So far I've gotten a pinterest board started, but I'll have to get to the fabric store first since my stash of yellow is pretty slim. (PS can anyone help me figure out how to post an actual shot of my pinterest board here? I can't figure it out)

Onward! I'm being very long-winded today. 

After doing a fair bit of research about what sort of quilt I wanted to make... I could do nothing else but to actually sew up a baby quilt. Ok ok. This one isn't for Alexandra's baby, and in all actuality I hadn't yet decided if I was going to make a quilt for my cousin Ruthie's baby (due in a couple months). Well I just did. lol. In just under three hours I put together a pretty awesome quilt top for Ruthie's baby (girl, yet to be named). With much thanks to Ebony who was so nice to bring her Acuquilt Studio Cutter (mr T) to the CMQG Retreat a couple weeks ago. I had been hoarding that FQ bundle of Nicey Jane for more than a year, but I used the Studio to cut circles (backed with interfacing), and 2 1/2" strips, and 2 1/2" squares. I used all but four of those squares!!! 

I'm so excited about this quilt and it's perfect timing too since I just ordered a yard of dot fabric in that line that I can use for the backing!

No comments:

Post a Comment