Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Chicago MQG Calendar Challenge

Remember that post from last week - the one about finishing my guild challenge quilt. 


It didn't work out how I planned. It became Wednesday and I hadn't finished piecing the top. I knew at that point that I had to change gears if I wanted to finish in time - otherwise my quilting would be compromised and that's not what I wanted for that quilt. I didn't want to rush it. 

So...

I grabbed the closest bit of unfinished patchwork on my table and went with it. 



(ok, ok, in truth I had this one on the back burner for about a month... no time here).

So I pulled this bit of free-pieced patchwork - chopped the overwhelming white borders (which apparently I hand't snapped a picture of), and added a bit more.

I decided to do a bit of free motion quilted flowers, with lines radiating out from the flowers. It makes me remember how much I love free motion quilting! I have some quilt tops that are nearly ready - soon! 


Anyway I really enjoyed making this little mini. In true Emily fashion I finished at about 1am late into the night, the night before it was due. It's a very "me" quilt - free and fun. I love it. 

I have to say I'm a bit in love with it and sad to that I won't see it again for a year! 


That's right, our guild challenge quilts have been accepted to travel in the quilt show with The Original Sewing & Quilt Expo for the next year! Stop by the show in your city to see them!

5 comments:

  1. This is very fun! I can't wait to see the other one when it's done, too! So exciting to have your work on display. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this quilt Emily! Great colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so pretty! I love the colors that you choose! They are so bright and cheerful, plus green is my very favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so lovely and summery!! Congratulations on it going on tour too, how exciting for you!

    Also, I can't wait to see the original when you do have time to finish it off.

    ReplyDelete