Saturday, October 26, 2013

Blogger's Quilt Festival


This week is the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side -- it's a nice way for us bloggers to enjoy tons of beautiful quilts, without the hassle of organizing a giant quilt fest! (Also, a way for us to keep busy while the big shots live it up at Quilt Market!).

My entry for the quilt festival this fall is my Chicago MQG callender challenge quilt "Springtime Fun" This quilt will be one of the calender girls for our guild calender. 


This quilt started out as a pretty stack of fabrics that I'd pulled out based on one of my favorite Tula Pink prints, I took the one busy fabric, and pulled fabric in colors that were included in it. I really like this method of fabric choice. It feels free and easy, yet you end up with a pretty well balanced stack of fabrics! 


Next I started piecing. I didn't plan at all really, the only thing I knew was that I wanted a random bunch of HST's in there. (I didn't mark or trim those HST by the way - I just winged them). I love the freedom of this style piecing. Sewing a bit here and there, chopping bits as I go.

I had fun sewing... but then set the piece aside for a while because we were packing up to move. The deadline approached quickly for our challenge and the quilt I was planning on finishing didn't get done... so I picked up this one! I added the white border and scrappily added the rest. 

I'm really glad I made this quilt - it's a mini quilt just 14" x 18" (if I recall correctly). Mini quilts suit me so well - fun and free. 


This quilt can be seen on display at the Original Sewing & Quilt Expo starting Nov 14, 15, & 16 at the Tinley Park show!! If you're heading out to the Sewing & Quilt Expo sometime this year be sure to check it out!! 

Final stats
Size: 14" x 18"
Improvisationally pieced
Quilted by me on a domestic machine (my beloved Juki!)
Machine bound

Thanks for all the Blogger's Quilt Fest people for stopping by! Feel free to follow me to see more pretty quilts! :) 

Check out the other Blogger's Quilt Fest quilts here.

4 comments:

  1. I love those teeny HSTs so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing mini! The colours are fantastic. good luck in the competition!
    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com
    ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com

    ReplyDelete