Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Chicago Modern Quilt Guild

Yesterday's Chicago Modern Quilt Guild meeting marked the beginning of a new challenge. We're calling it the "Modern Art Challenge" and while the art choice doesn't need to be classified as modern art, we're encouraging a modern quilting take on various forms of art.

CMQG Modern Art Challenge
My CMQG Modern Art Challenge inspiration pic and fabrics.
Each participant brought a postcard sized image of the art of their choice, some personal details (likes, dislikes etc), and a FQ of fabric that represents their style. We had everyone sign in and choose a bag other than the one they brought - and we're off! We'll have the next two months to finish a doll size quilt inspired by the art their partner chose! I'm really excited about this (which is good because myself and the other Emily are leading it!).

CMQG Modern Art Challenge
Emily guiding the sign-in process. We were very thorough.
Hopefully that pays off and we'll have a smooth running swap!
Above is a picture of my art and fabrics. I really didn't intentionally pick a hard work of art... it's just the first thing that struck me as my favorite work of art. It's Bernini's Baldacchino (inside St. Pete's Basilica in Rome), and I love the texture and details. I by no means want a literal representation of it - but rather think that a lot of that texture and design could be translated into quilting and piecing - fabulously! :) Well that will be up to Sarah who drew my bag!

Natalie's art inspiration
I drew Natalie's bag, and I'm really inspired by it... in a weird way. I know that she loves Jacquie's style, and she has an open mind about this project, so I have TONS of ideas. I'm thinking of doing a random pixelization to mimic the dots (art people what do we call this type of painting?) using lots of solids and a few prints. I'll be doing some sketching here soon!
Bella Parade Quilted Blocks
Blocks trimmed, fabrics on top are auditioning for the binding!
Other notes about the meeting, I got a lot of work done--- er. I got some work done. :) It was a sew-in day which pretty much means bring something to work on but be prepared to just chat the whole meeting away! I trimmed my Bella Solids quilted pieces - using Ebony's 20" square ruler (thanks Ebony!!). Man is it so much easier to square up big blocks with a HUGE ruler! :) The blocks are trimmed at 17" square and they're going to look great!
Bella Parade Quilted Blocks
All that trimming left me with this! A lovely pile of scraps to be put into a doggy bed - made for shelter dogs!

7 comments:

  1. Wish I could've made the meeting, I thought this was such a fun idea! Can't wait to see what everyone makes. Hope it goes so well that you guys repeat it somewhere down the road!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea for a challenge! The style you're referring to is Impressionism, which is the style of the print in the bag you drew. Unless you're thinking more along the lines of Picasso and Duchamp where they tried to capture all angles of a 3-D image onto a single plane.

    I'm excited to see what you come up with for this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a really cool challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The meeting sounds like fun! The challenge sounds bery interesting. I'll be looking out to see your progress. =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool! I wish my guild would do something like this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, I have to ask... Did anyone have 'The Portrait of Dorian Gray'...I've been thinking of doing a 'Dorian Gray' quilt and how I'd reinturpid the story :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish I could have taken part in this! Looks like a ton of fun!

    ReplyDelete