Thursday, June 19, 2014

I need to teach.


Today I demo'd at the Open Studios at the International Quilt Festival, Chicago. I demo'd foundation paper piecing for the second time this year. Having already done the demoing thing at this show last year, I wasn't particularly nervous or stressed while prepping for my demo. I was looking forward to it - it's fun to teach people new skills. 

Each demo is given a two hour time slot - and that's enough time for people to come and go - several sets of people stop to see what you're doing and ask questions. I managed to do my complete explanation of paper piecing about eight times today. It went so smoothly and everyone had such great questions. I really think I taught some people a new skill today. They can go and paper piece without fear. 


Today's demo affirms my desire to teach. I want to get out there. I want to share my passion for quilting. I still don't know how to go about doing that -- but I need to continue to work on it. I love the feeling of sharing my love of precision, color, pattern, design. I love connecting with a student - I love when you see that moment of clarity in their face. They get it. 

So bear with me as I figure out how to get to that next step. I need to teach. 

3 comments:

  1. Very cool and I wish you the best as you figure out this next step.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! I feel exactly the same way. Good luck with your pursuits :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for one's marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed
    reading it, you are a great author.I will make sure to
    bookmark your blog and will come back later in life.
    I want to encourage that you continue your great work,
    have a nice evening!

    ReplyDelete