Monday, March 26, 2012

Finding a sewing community: Chicago Modern Quilt Guild Retreat.

This weekend was the Chicago Modern Quilt Guild's spring retreat in Racine, WI. We had a blast, stayed up late, slept in, ate yummy food, and yes, we sewed!

Thread catcher made using this tutorial
I'm going to break this up into a couple different blog posts - so please check back this week - I worked on some major ongoing projects that deserve their own space. :)

Emily and Elaine
Friday we arrived at the Dominican convent in Racine for our retreat - we had 24 (?) people attend and it was a crazy good time! Sara brought her scarf dying for us to try, Donna brought her masseuse (!!), and Ebony brought her AccuQuilt Studio die cutter. We all had a great time sewing up a storm and chatting along the way!
Some zip pouches for my sister and mom.
I feel like the weekend just flew by! I stayed up late (3am!) both nights, and slept in in the mornings. It was really refreshing to have a chance to really connect with some of the other CMQG members!

Beth's awesome stack of awesomeness!
I really accomplished a lot of things. I worked on my Bella Bella Quilt, some zip pouches, and free motion quilted a quilt that's been in the closet for years. I also added another border to my {Modern} Robin quilt, made a mini quilt, finished my doll quilt, and sewed up a thread catcher! Whew! 

Emily and I working simultaneously on our {Modern} Robin project!
Emily and I shared a table, and were next to Trisha, Elaine, Ebony and Beth. We had a great time in our little area! So much wild color around us! 

Trisha's fantastic quilt - she used some corduroy too! I love it!!
Oh and I'll bet you wouldn't expect that this happened --


haha. I walked into the kitchen of our retreat space Saturday night to find this collection of half empty alcohol bottles! lol. Remember though, there were 24 of us so there was enough to go around!

Some borders on my {Modern} Robin
We had a great time - and made it home in record timing! What a weekend!! I'll leave you with a picture of all the things I worked on this weekend - a crazy amount of projects! 

How fabulous is that'? I'm in love with all of those projects!!

4 comments:

  1. Looks like it was tons of fun! Wow - you have all kinds of round stuff, big and small. Can't wait to see your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. was so fun. wish we could have our retreats more often! love that last photo of all the things you finished!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! Stopping by from QuiltStory.

    Mrs.Hearts

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love retreating with you Em and you always get so much done! Your projects are so beautiful and unique to you, love ya lady :)

    ReplyDelete