Sunday, September 11, 2011

Uninspired?

Or just out of fabric?

hehe... So I've been saving up for the Sewing Summit... and because we're generally broke. I haven't bought fabric... I mean really bought fabric in longer than I can remember. I think in the past three months I've bought maybe 4 yds total... that includes the solids that I found on sale at Connecting Threads.

In that same three months I've finished three quilts and a doll quilt. And three purses.

I had the fabric all stacked up for my mom's quilt - and used nearly all of it in the construction of the main blocks. I'll need to replenish some of the solids and buy a yard or two of the focus fabric before I can do any more work on finishing that quilt top.

The Pillow Talk Swap has just started and I tried to get to work on my idea tonight... but I just don't feel like the fabrics I have are right - and even what I have are from my scraps, potentially not enough to really finish a quilt cohesively. I'm thinking I'll have to make it to The Needle Shop or Quiltology soon to buy at least a FQ of a fabric to work as a focus. It's kind of a bummer to not be able to work on it now though.

Ditto for my "tiny scrappy..." quilt I got started and love the color scheme, but most of those fabrics are scraps that were hanging around. I'm not sure that I can make a whole quilt in such a fun way without having a bit more of at least a couple of them.

Which brings me to my Sew Beautiful Bee quilt - need more Kona Coal. lol. That's the story of my life. I should just save up and buy a bolt of that stuff. I'm always running through it like crazy. I have about 1/2 of the back of this quilt pieced. I guess I could cut the fabric for the binding. I have all the last of my Good Folks stash reserved for it (It's getting meager there!).

I'd like to work another purse or two, altering the pattern I used for the one last week... but me having a 1/2 yd or more of any fabrics is just not really happening. How weird is that? I think I've saved up enough and come the Summit I'll feel ok in spending a bit... hehe. :) I hope so! Speaking of which, I wonder when we'll get our work bonuses... hope it's more than the almost nothing that it was last time. Everyone go out and buy all your books from Half Price Books so my bonus is bigger ok?

I guess I'll go read some more of my book. I'm in the middle of Jodi Picoult's "Sing You Home." Let me tell you, I usually don't read/stop reading books when these subjects come up:
  • Divorce
  • Cancer
  • Miscarriage/Stillbirth
  • Infertility
  • Lesbian love scenes (ok this wasn't really on my list before.. but)
I'm halfway through and all these things have come up. Why am I still reading it? I'm not sure other than the fact that Jodi Picoult sure can make you love a character so much that you'll keep reading despite your normal reasons to stop. I can't even figure out who the "good guy" is yet. I think I'll go read the next 200 pages and call it a night. lol. 

**In case you're wondering I chose to not read fiction books with these topics because I think real life is filled with enough of that. I'd like to lose myself in a book without worry - those subjects make me sad and worry about the characters. Yes, I know it's only fiction. But ask me why I won't read the sequel to "The Friday Night Knitting Club."

3 comments:

  1. I hear you on not shopping for fabric, but I do have quite a stash built up. The only problem is the Kona's, when you run out, well, you need the solids. What I have to do is not open any quilt shop newsletters, especially if they have the word 'sale' in the description, too tempting. It is a trial to not buy beautiful fabric to turn into quilts/pillows/bags.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing with that list you haven't read any other books by Jodi Picoult! I haven't read the last few, but I remember them being trauma-filled, and there often wasn't a clear cut good guy/bad guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohmygosh! I was on such a Jodi Picoult craze a couple of years back! They're addicting!

    ReplyDelete